Friday, October 26, 2018

More Fog

10/23/18 Maple Leaf neighborhood

The fog was so thick Tuesday morning that I could barely see the house across the street. I went upstairs to sketch this from our bedroom window. The utility wires dripped as if with rain. Even through the pea soup, I could see the warm glow of our neighbor’s tree. It’s one of my favorite things about fall – seeing trees blazing through fog.

Technical note: I’ve lately been experimenting with putting a bit of color in my mostly-graphite sketches (I tried it in the sketch I posted yesterday, too). If I try to apply colored pencil over graphite, it doesn’t layer well, so I erase out a clear spot of paper first. Then if I want to mute the hue further as I did in this foggy scene, I can smudge graphite over it.

What do you think? Is the touch of color effective?

2 comments:

  1. I think the touch of color adds a extra bit of life to the sketch. I like that you kept it very limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you think so! I do, too, and I'm going to keep doing that as long as I have something colorful to put in! Our days of that are numbered... all the leaves are falling off.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...