Sunday, January 24, 2016

Jittery Roastery Redux

1/24/16 inks, colored pencils

Since I was planning to spend the morning with Urban Sketchers Seattle at the Starbucks Roastery, I reduced my usual caffeine intake at breakfast to half a cup. It’s a good thing I did, because by the time I finished the sketch above (during which I enjoyed a fun Origin Flight tasting of three Starbucks Reserve coffees), my lines were getting a little wiggly!

1/24/16 ink, colored pencils
Jitters notwithstanding, I had a terrific time sketching at Starbucks’ flagship location. The coffees, food, d├ęcor, furniture, cups, even the napkins are different from any other Starbucks I’ve been to. The biggest difference, though, is the customer service. Although almost all Starbucks baristas are friendly and service-oriented, the Roastery people are a cut above. They really made me feel special there (and OK, I paid top dollar for that specialness, but I still feel like going back for more!).

Since this was my third sketching trip to the Roastery (the first was in January last year, and the second was a month later, both times with USk Seattle), I decided to focus on different challenges. After sketching my tasting experience, I captured a couple of the knowledgeable and hard-working baristas busy at the “Experience Bar” on the Roastery’s lower level.

1/24/16 brush pen, colored pencil
Thoroughly buzzed by then, I walked across the street for some fresh, cold air (a little too cold – I didn’t last long) to make a quick sketch of the Roastery’s exterior. I made a note to come back in warmer weather to spend more time on the exterior – it’s a really beautiful old building.

My favorite was Pantheon in the center, followed closely by
Sumatra.

2 comments:

  1. You have such great places for coffee offering great sketching opportunities. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to think of a more fun place to sketch. I'm glad to hear that the reason for my wiggly lines is coffee, and not me being old :-) Great sketches, Tina.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...