![]() |
| 9/10/26 Frisia black locust and Crimson King Norway maple, Maple Leaf neighborhood |
I haven't officially declared leaf-peeping season yet, but
I'm in training. A good warm-up were these bright yellow trees. Most of the year,
their foliage is lime green, then in the fall, they turn lemon yellow and then yellow-orange.
I think of them as “citrus trees,” but they’re actually Frisia black locusts.
The very dark reddish-black tree in front of the locust is a Crimson King Norway maple (above). For that confounding color, I used a dark sepia Derwent Inktense pencil with a light layer of magenta Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle pencil over that. Trying to get that hue reminded me of a similar challenge I gave myself during the first pandemic summer with some ornamental plums I’d spotted. They also have a deep purple, nearly black hue.
![]() |
| 9/10/26 Frisia black locust, Maple Leaf neighborhood |


Beauties . . .but I'm still not ready! lol
ReplyDeleteStill floating on Denial River, eh? ;-)
Deletelol Yep. The turn is very slow here. Only a few yellow leaves on the birches behind my place and yet to see anything particularly striking. The drought may give us another dull autumn by the looks of the cottonwoods alone. :-( Granted, I haven't been much out of my immediate neighborhood so there may be more action in town.
Delete