Thursday, December 14, 2023

Messing Around With Derwent Graphitint Pan Paints

 

Derwent Graphitint Paint Pan Set

I thought I was done showing my mess-arounds with watercolor wannabes (for lack of a better shorthand term), but I almost forgot about this one – the Derwent Graphitint Paint Pan Set. Perhaps it’s because I am least excited about the set, which is the pan version of Graphitint pencils. I see a lot more potential with the XL Block version of the Graphitint series, which has strong pigment, an innovative shape and can also be used like pan paints. The pan set, however, while being more portable than blocks, is a lot less fun to use. I’ve been messing around with the set sporadically since October, but I can’t seem to get into it.

Like the Inktense and the tinted charcoal paint pan sets, the Graphitint set comes in an identical plastic palette with a waterbrush.

Like the corresponding water-soluble pencils and XL Blocks, the pan palette is muted and earthy, which I wouldn’t object to if the colors were richer.

Swatches made in Hahnemuhle Akademie Aquarell sketchbook

Initially, I made several sketches using only the colors in the Graphitint set. They match both the pencils and the blocks in terms of drying with a matte, slightly granulated finish. I do like the granulation that brings out its graphite base (the background on the left of the portrait, below). In addition, the pan paints seem more forgiving than traditional watercolors in that they can be overworked without showing as much evidence of overworking (though that also means they don’t move much once they hit the paper).

10/22/23 Graphitint pan paints in Hahnemuhle sketchbook (Earthworld reference photo)

My favorite is the crow; I used the color Steel Blue (lower left in the swatches), which looks black to me.

10/31/23 Rick Clark reference photo

This tonal street scene shows weird dots and splotches where the “paint” stopped moving when I lifted the brush. I like the granulating effect, but not much else.

11/5/23 photo reference

My most recent attempt was to use some of the grayish tones in the set as sort of a grisaille for regular watercolors. Well, that was my intention, anyway, but once I got out the colors, I forgot about the grisaille and just painted. Based on a rainy-day reference photo, the muted palette came out OK, but using watercolors alone would have been more exciting.

12/5/23 Graphitint pan paints and Kuretake watercolors in Hahnemuhle 100% cotton sketchbook (photo reference)

I’ve been looking at YouTubes for ideas on how others are using this set, but so far, nothing is grabbing me. If you see someone doing something interesting, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...