Friday, May 19, 2023

Cloud City Marquee

 

5/13/23 Cloud City Coffee in Maple Leaf
As my favorite neighborhood coffee place, Cloud City Coffee has appeared in my sketchbooks many times over the years – both inside and out. If I counted right, this sketch is my fifth one of Cloud City’s cool art deco sign. The first time was when I had been sketching only a few months (by coincidence, it was 11 years ago almost to the day). Of course I sketched it again in 2016 when it was repainted with a new logo. The best part about the sign is the marquee-like chasing lights that form the arrow.

On the morning of the first day of what we were told would be our “first” (that’s ominous) record-breaking heatwave of the year, it was still early and cool when I stopped on my walk across the street from Cloud City. I’ve sketched the sign in full color so often that I took a different approach this time: Just a quick snapshot of the sign leading lots of locals to their morning caffeine fix.

2 comments:

  1. You have such interesting coffee places to sketch. Super sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of coffee shops in town... but not too many cool signs like this! :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...