Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Hasty Lunar New Year

2/8/20 Lunar New Year festival, Chinatown/International District

USk Seattle didn’t plan a sketch outing to this year’s Lunar New Year celebration as we did last year, and I thought I would miss it completely. I had fully expected the day to be yet another dreary, rainy one, but the morning sunshine surprised me. Taking advantage of the weather reprieve, Greg and I dashed out to Chinatown/International District for the noontime festivities.

I could hear firecrackers and drums somewhere in Hing Hay Park, signaling the appearance of the lion dancers, but from where I stood on King Street, the red Gateway sculpture and food booths were all I could see. I didn’t mind; the noise, crowds and food smells were enough to get me into the spirit. And none too soon: Minutes later, it started raining again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...