Saturday, August 29, 2026

Wallingford Dick’s Drive-in

 

8/24/26 Dick's Drive-in, Wallingford neighborhood

“Serving Seattle’s favorite burgers, hand-cut fries, and real ice cream shakes since 1954,” Dick’s Drive-in in Wallingford still has the classic drive-in shape. I haven’t eaten a burger anywhere in four decades, and I haven’t even eaten fries at Dick’s for years (though I know they are good), but I appreciate any venue widely regarded as an institution. Although I’ve sketched both the Queen Anne Dick’s and the one on Capitol Hill, this was my first time sketching the Wallingford branch of this local chain.

I looked for a composition that would include both the restaurant and the iconic, original sign, but there was too much empty space between them to fit right. Instead, I sketched the sign as an inset (which is a favored layout technique of Mike Daikubara). I don’t always take the time to color in all the details of signs, but who could resist those candy corn colors?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...