Saturday, August 22, 2026

Prepping for a Dry Fall

 

Anticipating a dry fall!

The summer of ’26 has been one of ambivalence. On the one hand, the weather has been mostly beautiful: only a few days of extreme heat, and only a few of smoke (so far). I’ve been sketching outdoors to my heart’s content.

On the other hand, it’s been the hardest summer of my life.

Our foggy mornings lately and the blushes of color I’m seeing in some trees are hinting that fall isn’t far off. Although I have no regrets about summer ending, I still feel a bit wistful.

To waylay a post-summer slump, I decided I needed a fresh sketching approach for autumn. Not just a refreshed palette but a medium I haven’t focused on for urban sketching in a long time: Non-soluble colored pencils! Seems like every couple of years or so, I pull out a selection of dry colored pencils (often a secondary triad, which I especially like in the fall) and tell myself I’m going to use them without the help of water-soluble materials. Although I enjoy it for a short time, I eventually go back to the speed and convenience of water-soluble pencils and crayons.

One mistake I’ve made in the past is to continue using an A5-size sketchbook as I usually do with water-soluble materials. Filling an A5 page takes significantly longer without the efficiency of water to spread color. This time, I’ll probably still carry an A5-size book (likely a Stillman & Birn Zeta) for versatility, but my plan is to work on a half-page at a time (a size I’m accustomed to from using A6-ish Uglybooks). We’ll see if that keeps me going longer.

I pulled out my color journal recently to trial a color palette (below). Recalling all the joy I had last winter working from photos with Derwent Drawing pencils, those pencils will form the bulk of my palette. Even the largest set, though, is severely lacking certain hues; specifically, bright reds, magenta and dark greens. I pulled in Prismacolors to fill those holes. Knowing me, I’ll probably change up the palette before I even start using it, but I’m showing what I have so far just because I’m excited about it.

I'll probably further refine the palette, but here are the finalists in Derwent Drawing and Prismacolor non-soluble pencils.

Now when the trees start turning in earnest, I’ll welcome it with something fun and potentially illuminating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...