Thursday, June 13, 2024

Above Targy’s Tavern

 

6/7/24 Upper Queen Anne neighborhood

Besides a change in view, I had a second reason for choosing the Queen Anne Top Pot to observe National Doughnut Day: It’s located only a half-mile from my very first apartment as an independent adult. Since living there 40 years ago, I’ve driven by a few times when I was in the neighborhood, but it recently occurred to me that I had never sketched the building.

When I arrived, the entire front of the building was in shade, and I was surprised by how tall the street maples had grown (I guess that happens in 40 years!). My apartment near the center of the upper floor had one window that looked out on the street, and back then I could actually see the street. Now all the apartment windows are completely obscured by those maples, at least in summer (though the trees probably also keep the rooms cooler).

Not a single thing about the scene appealed to me in terms of a sketch subject: It was too dark, too blah, and frankly, the part I was interested in – the window to my apartment – wasn’t even visible. Only nostalgia and a desire to document it made me put pencils to paper.

Incidentally, the corner of the main floor is still occupied by Targy’s Tavern, "Queen Anne's Favorite Watering Hole," which was founded in 1937. The building itself was built in 1902. (I didn’t know either of those facts when I lived there; I just Googled.) Whenever I used to tell people I lived above Targy’s Tavern, they expressed sympathy about the assumed noise. Actually, I never had much of a problem with that source of noise; the buses going by on 6th Avenue West were a lot worse, day in and day out. And can you believe I never had a drink at Targy’s?

4 comments:

  1. Always interesting to go back to old haunts and previous residences. In my experience, they never look like you remembered them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose that's true... time changes the images in our memories!

      Delete
  2. It is fun to check out things from the past as long as we are prepared that there will be possible changes. All those trees obscure the look of the building, but you always do trees so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, the trees were more interesting than the building! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...