Monday, April 1, 2019

Grand Central in the ‘Hood

3/27/19 Grand Central Bakery in the Wedgwood neighborhood

Decades ago when I worked near Pioneer Square, Grand Central Bakery in the Grand Central Arcade was one of my favorite lunch spots. More recently, Seattle USk has sketched in the Arcade several times. Just last year when Michele Cooper taught a 10x10 workshop there, one of the bakery’s sandwiches played an important role in my sketch montage.

So when the Seattle/Portland chain opened a new bakery in the Wedgwood neighborhood a few months ago, I was very happy to be able to enjoy its delicious sandwiches and pastries so close to home.

The temperature was borderline when I stopped in last week for a bite – a little too cool and breezy to be comfortable dining outdoors – but I couldn’t resist the street view and bright red tables and chairs. I scarfed down the sandwich first for sustenance, then finished the sketch quickly before I got chilled. The window seats and natural light coming into the bright interior were duly noted: I’m going to have to check out this café for indoor sketching sometime, too.  

(I meant to show you my Beecher’s Bolo sandwich, but it was gone before I could remember to snap a photo. You can see my sketch of it during Michele’s workshop, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...