Friday, December 7, 2018

Crayola for Grownups

12/4/18 Calvin (20 min. pose)

Above is a 20-minute pose of Calvin that I made with a Derwent Drawing Pencil. With a core that’s even softer and thicker, this pencil would supersede my favorite Caran d’Ache Museum Aquarelle if it were water-soluble, too. By using it on the side of its core (in the frowned-upon way I mentioned yesterday), I love the subtle shading I can get with it. As I was happily working on this sketch, the pencil evoked something joyful from my past . . .

During the break, I looked over at the artists easel beside me and noticed that he was using a purple crayon! He said he’d forgotten his usual Conte pencil but had found the crayon on the floor (left behind after Saturday’s Drawing Jam, no doubt), so he decided to use it instead. Bingo! Derwent Drawing Pencils are as close to crayons as one can get and still have wood around them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...