Wednesday, December 12, 2018

A Celtic Magnificat

12/8/18 City Cantabile Choir performing at Green Lake United Methodist Church

One of our annual holiday traditions is to attend a chorale concert or two in one of the neighborhood churches. The past several years, we’ve been following City Cantabile Choir, whose director develops creative and unusual collaborations or interpretations of holiday music that always incorporate traditional Irish songs. (You can see my posts and sketches from previous years.) This year’s concert, “A Celtic Magnificat,” was no exception: It was an imaginative meeting of Bach and harpist Turlough O’Carolan last Saturday evening at Green Lake United Methodist Church (an old stone church that I sketched several years ago).

Sketching in a darkened church is always an interesting challenge (I’ve sometimes used a book light, but I decided to keep it simple this year), especially when the choir, orchestra and conductor are all dressed in black. I was delighted to see conductor Fred West wearing a bright red shirt this year, and all the choir members wore matching red scarves, which made the sketching more fun.

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done. That concert premise sounds really interesting. I've heard the harp music of Turlough O’Carolan.

    The purple drape over the cross made me wonder. That's usually seen during Lent, but we're in Advent. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Kate! It was a really creative and interesting concert. I'm clueless about the drape, but I was happy to sketch its bright purple. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...