Thursday, February 2, 2017

Are We There Yet?

2/2/17 colored pencil, Bristol (work still in progress, maybe)
I’m not sure if this is done. If you’ll recall from yesterday’s post, the assignment is exploring composition and atmospheric perspective. I thought the reference photo I chose (see below) was relatively blah and lacking in visual focus, so it forced me to create a path for the eye. I think that part’s done.

In the photo, the middle-value foreground is not much lighter than the dark line of trees in the background, so I might still have some work to do in making the foreground darker. But I have to be careful not to get too dark, or the line of trees will lose their contrast. I’d like the clouds to stand out more against the pale blue sky, but if I get carried away, it would be easy to let the sky become as dark as the grass.

I’ll look at it again tomorrow and see what I think. What do you think?

photo reference

1 comment:

  1. I like how you added the zig-zag area in the grass to lead your eye back into the landscape. You can probably do the foreground a little darker, but not much so that it doesn't compete. Nice!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...