Friday, May 1, 2015

A Second Crack at St. Spiridon

5/1/15 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

The first time I took a crack at St. Spiridon Orthodox Cathedral, it was chilly and I was parked illegally anyway, so I stayed in the car to sketch it. I wasn’t thrilled by the composition, though, so I wanted to come back and try again sometime.

An errand at REI brought me to the neighborhood again this afternoon, so I got my chance to sketch it properly: From the sidewalk kitty-corner to the cathedral so that I could see both entrances and most of the onion domes. I’m glad I got a little practice drawing those onions last time. They weren’t any easier this time, but they were just as fun!

Edited 4:30 p.m.: I just realized I forgot to draw the crosses on the two cupolas on the right! I guess Ill have to sketch it a third time!

1 comment:

  1. I think this version is so much better. Your composition really helps emphasize the solid structure of the church. Nicely done, Tina.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...