Friday, September 13, 2013

Young Cellist

9/12/13 Diamine Eclipse ink, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
After Boyd left with his saxophone, the next busker quickly took his space. He was unusual by two counts: He was young (maybe 13 or 14?), and his instrument was a cello.

I was half-expecting his repertoire to be classical, but that shows how much I know. Much to the delight of several young audience members, his first tune was the Indiana Jones theme. While I sketched, he played “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” followed by the theme to “Star Wars.” I have to say, it was the first time I’d heard Star Wars played as a cello solo.

That’s one of many reasons I like hanging out at farmers markets.

(The sketch of the cellist fills the last page in the Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook I was working on when I got my “Stefano” sketchbook. I finished off my last Alpha last week. Although I’ve been using the Stefano sporadically since I returned home from Europe, I wanted to finish off these last two sketchbooks before using the Stefano full-time. Now the true test begins: Does the Stefano work long-term as my everyday sketchbook?)

1 comment:

  1. Good sketch of the young cellist! I can't believe how much entertainment you have at your farmers markets. Ours are so dull! You are filling your books quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...