Saturday, September 5, 2015

San Francisco, Part 2: USk SF at the Ferry Building

9/1/15 ink, watercolor (Ferry Building)
A highlight of our trip was meeting up with a small group from Urban Sketchers San Francisco Bay Area. After I contacted Cathy McAuliffe, whose sketches I have enjoyed for a long time on Flickr, she kindly organized an ad hoc group to meet me for a morning of sketching at the Ferry Building Marketplace. With colorful venues inside (in case of inclement weather), artwork outside (I sketched part of Nuestros Silencios, a series of provocative sculptures, below) and the historic building itself (at right), it was more than enough to keep us busy. I’m always delighted and amazed when the worldwide Urban Sketchers network makes it so easy to contact other sketchers wherever I go!

After parting with the other sketchers, Greg and I took a trolley and then a bus up to the top of Telegraph Hill, where I sketched Coit Tower, another SF icon. (You can also see it on the skyline in the quick sketch below.) Walking down Telegraph Hill back to the waterfront, we looked for the famed wild parrots that live there, but we could only hear them. However, that morning in front of the Ferry Building, Janine and I caught a glimpse of the birds flying by and heard their distinctive chatter in the trees.

Our last stop before heading home was Golden Gate Park . . .


9/1/15 inks, brush pen
9/1/15 inks, colored pencils ("Nuestros Silencios")
9/1/15 inks, colored pencils (Coit Tower and statue of Christopher Columbus)
Sketching with USk San Francisco Bay Area! Left to right: Janine, Judith, Suhita,
Cathy and Tina
Left to right: Suhita, Laurie, Cathy and Janine
Suhita sketched with us while scoping out sketch locations for her upcoming workshop!
Janine might be my longest-standing blog reader! Great to see you again, Janine!

1 comment:

  1. I always love the drama of your shadows. Great sketches from SF. How fun that you got to meet up with some of the sketchers there.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...