Friday, June 6, 2014

Ignorance is Bliss

6/5/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Take-Sumi and Diamine Grey inks, Pitt Artist Pen, Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
The ukulele player wearing a Hawaiian shirt, a thin waxed mustache and a tiny ponytail is colorful enough, and I’ve sketched him at farmers markets more than once. But yesterday at Queen Anne Farmers Market, his co-busker stole the show, at least in terms of attire: A tuba player in a top hat, large earrings and a kilt. I regret that my sketch doesn’t capture the best part of his outfit: On his feet were the kind of running shoes with individual toes. Together they performed jazz standards in the warm afternoon sunshine at my first farmers market of the season. As I sketched them, I felt I had endured eight months of rain and cold for that moment. I had earned such bliss.

Little did I know that on the other side of Queen Anne Hill, maybe only a mile or two away, a gunman had opened fire inside Seattle Pacific University, killing one student and injuring others. I would learn about the incident in the car on the way home, a trip that took three times longer than it should have because a major thoroughfare had to be closed due to yet another crazy, senseless act of violence on an otherwise beautiful day.

But for the moment, I was basking in sheer pleasure: The beginning of summer with my sketchbook, my bag heavy with the weight of local strawberries.

1 comment:

  1. Great sketch of the two musicians in their great attire! It must have felt great to finally get back to the farmer's market again...too bad the peace of the day was spoiled by the violence. I didn't realize it was so close to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...