Thursday, June 7, 2012

The J. Paul Getty Museum

A whirlwind weekend in L.A. for my niece Kristen’s wedding allowed me some time to visit the J. Paul Getty Museum. This gem of an institution is impressive not only for its art collection but also for its gardens and architecture. Spending less than a day there, I had barely skimmed the surface, but I did manage to catch a sketching class offered twice a month by local artists. Free! And admission to the museum is free, too! I decided that if I lived in L.A., I would be there regularly, enjoying the art, grounds and education.
6/3/12, fountain pen, Hand Book sketchbook

The sketch at right shows a detail of a sculpture called Python Killing a Gnu by Antoine-Louis Barge (1796 – 1875).

Sharing a table with a museum guard on his lunch break, I stopped at a sculptural fountain for a sketch (below) and some beautiful SoCal sunshine (the June Gloom had burned off by then). After finishing his sandwich, the guard pulled out a sketchbook, too. If I worked there, I’d probably spend all my lunch breaks that way.

6/3/12, Copic Multiliner SP pen, watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...