Friday, February 14, 2014

I Heart Momiji Ink

2/7/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji ink, Fabriano Studio hot press 140 lb. paper
Here’s the sketch I made for the Valentine card I gave to Greg (sketched with the Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji ink that he gave me for Christmas). When I got the idea for it, I thought it would be easy. Obviously, I couldn’t sketch both hands at the same time, but I knew I could easily sketch my right hand and then make its mirror image next to it. To my surprise, sketching the mirror image of something isn’t as straightforward as it looks: My brain kept wanting to copy it directly.

I also fooled myself into thinking I could duplicate the mirror image of the shading. But the way the light was set up on my desk, the shadows were different on the left hand. So I kept having to make the mirrored shape with my left hand, pick up the pen to sketch, put the pen back down, make the shape again, and so forth. The “easy” mirror image turned out to take twice as long as the original sketch!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! Love the sketch...and I can imagine trying to do the mirror image. It isn't easy at all. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT description. It gives a real insight into something that seems so simple. great sketch and especially like the ink

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...