Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fall City Farms


10/13/12 Lamy fountain pen, Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn
For the 37th worldwide sketchcrawl, the Seattle Urban Sketchers met at Fall City Farms in the Snoqualmie Valley east of Seattle. In the car on the way over, Jackie and I laughed at the irony of the Urban Sketchers meeting at a farm, and I’ve wondered myself about whether rural sketching counts as Urban Sketching, but why quibble over semantics?
 
10/13/12 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor
A working farm, Fall City Farms offers lots and lots of pumpkins in October and Christmas trees in December. With so many festive fall scenes to choose from, I started with the turkeys until the drizzle turned into a solid shower. Looking for cover, I found a shelter with a good view of Stephanie (who initiated the location for this sketchcrawl – great idea, Stephanie!) sketching near a pile of pumpkins.
 
As I looked around for my next sketch, I was suddenly seduced by the scent of frying sugar. I followed it to a bag of tiny donuts – hot from the oil and covered with cinnamon sugar! It was an awesome lunch to eat while waiting for The Howdy Boys, who play ”honky tonkin’ bluegrass from Seattle,” to set up for their performance. I lost track of time sketching them and almost missed the other sketchers gathering at a dry spot to spread out their sketchbooks at the end of the crawl.

Where did you sketch for today's 37th worldwide sketchcrawl?
 
10/13/12 Lamy fountain pen, Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn sketchbook

1 comment:

  1. Great sketches!!! Looks like your group had fun even if the weather wasn't so great. I met up with the NYC Urban Sketchers for the first time. It was such fun to sketch with a group. Come see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...