Sunday, October 19, 2014

Summer in October on Capitol Hill

10/19/14 various inks, watercolor, Zig markers, Pitt Artist Pen, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

The October gatherings of Urban Sketchers Seattle the past two years have been at pumpkin farms – Craven Farm last year (which was really cold) and Fall City Farm (which was rainy) the year before. This year we broke from tradition and met in the Capitol Hill neighborhood near Seattle Central Community College, and someone must have danced the right sun dance, because we got summer – 70 degrees and a nearly cloudless sky! 

10/19/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Caran d'Ache
Museum water-soluble colored pencils
From the corner of Broadway and Pine, red and yellow cranes caught my eye. I could see no less than four, but I could fit only three into my composition.

At the Broadway Farmers Market, I captured a busker singing in the bright sunshine, but not before wandering slowly through the colorful produce and flower stalls, wishing summer were just starting.

In the last 15 minutes before our meet-up time, I sketched a line of trees growing on the SCCC campus grounds. Actually, what first caught my attention was the very top of the Space Needle hovering over a rooftop like a spaceship.

Rain is predicted for the rest of the week, and I can already see clouds gathering on the horizon, so today was a special treat right before we all get out our Polartecs and parkas for good.


10/19/14 various inks, Caran d'Ache Museum
water-soluble colored pencils

1 comment:

  1. Nice sketches! Looks like a beautiful day to be outside sketching. I thought of you when we were in NYC on Saturday for the World Wide SketchCrawl and there were all these cranes that needed to be sketched. lol When I finish posting from my trip (which should take a few more days) I'll catch up on the sketches I've done since I'm home.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...