Saturday, October 4, 2014

Little Free Library at Green Lake

10/4/14 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor,
Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored
pencils
During the summer, I sketched two Little Free Libraries within walking distance of my house in Maple Leaf. Today as I was driving past Green Lake, I spotted one that must be fairly new, because it’s not on the organization’s directory yet.

From the street, I thought it was actually made of brick, but on close inspection I realized it was just painted very carefully to look like it. The roof was made of something that looked very convincingly of real shingles, and the woodwork was beautifully done. This library was working double-duty as the house number marker for the host’s home. It’s fun and impressive to see the care that the hosts take to build and maintain their little libraries.

As I was sketching, a young girl and her mom came by, and the girl rushed to open the door, exclaiming, “I love the Little Free Libraries they have in Seattle. . . look, a kid’s book!” She was so quick to make her selection and reclose the door that I didn’t get to put her into the sketch.

When I checked the directory again, I discovered three more libraries nearby that I’d missed previously. The network must be growing! Stay tuned for more.

5 comments:

  1. These little libaries are so cool. Love your sketch of this one, Tina.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sketch, Tina. I like it just as well without the girl.
    For the past two Fridays I have searched Kirkland for a LFL that one of my students told me about. Each time the address turned out to be wrong. :/ Maybe next Friday.
    Smiles, Michele

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the address on the one that you found? I live in the area and would like to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...