Friday, October 3, 2014

Monster Tree

10/3/14 Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils,
various inks, Zig marker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
Nilda and I took a field trip down to Tacoma to see Chandler O’Leary’s exhibit, “Drawn the Road Again,” at the Tacoma Public Library. The reproductions from her pocket-size Moleskine sketchbooks – many of which I’d already seen on her blog of the same name – are worth seeing up close, along with the humorous commentary written on the sketches of roadside attractions. When I saw them on her blog, I’d always pictured them being in the larger-size Moleskine – but I guess her sketches are larger than life! The exhibit is on through Oct. 25.

Speaking of larger than life: How about this strange monster tree? After seeing the exhibit, we went to the Point Defiance Rose Gardens for a little sketching. I usually don’t take photos of things I sketch, but this tree was so unbelievably strange that I was afraid you’d think my sketch was imaginary.

The roses were past their prime, but the dahlia test garden was a spectacular display of color and variety.

The monster tree lives!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...