Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Shelter Lounge Construction

10/8/14 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

A shabby, outdated Baskin-Robbins stood for years on East Green Lake Drive North with a mostly empty parking lot each day. It finally came down a while ago, and we wondered what would be filling the vacated space next to Starbucks. When I went by today, I noticed a distinctive architectural structure going up in front: two angled, asymmetrical beams. A promotional sign on the beams showed what the building would look like when complete, as well as the name of the business: Shelter Lounge.

With one location already in Ballard, Shelter Lounge is a restaurant with an emphasis on beer, “with 16 - 20 beers on tap featuring local breweries,” according to the Seattle Greenlaker blog. I’m not too excited about the additional parking congestion a place like that will probably bring to the already parked-up neighborhood, but progress marches on. In any case, the restaurant plans to open by the end of the year, so I hope to sketch its construction another time or two.

3 comments:

  1. I am home from my trip and spending the evening catching up on blogs. You have so much to read and I did go all the way back to finish reading your posts about Brazil. Great sketches, great antique find, and super locations! I was able to read a few of your posts when we were in Varenna and had internet access, but I was using my Nook and it is too much of a pain to log into and out of anything...my fingers and those little keys don't work well together. lol I did my first blog post about my trip so come and visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back, Joan! I missed you and your sketches! Looking forward to your catch-up!

      Delete
  2. That's a very cool scene, Tina. I suppose you're starting to have to watch the weather, hoping for some more outdoor sketching time. Ours is getting scarce.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...