Friday, February 28, 2014

Sketchin’ the Jammin’ at Wintergrass!

2/28/14 Diamine Chocolate Brown ink, Sailor pen, sticker, Canson XL 140 lb. paper
The Bellevue Hyatt Regency seems like such an odd venue for Wintergrass, the annual multi-day bluegrass festival, that at first I looked askance. I love bluegrass music, but surrounded by all that glass and chrome and contemporary Bellevueism. . . ? Not to mention paying the 520 toll to get there. But when Lynne said we could listen to and sketch the informal jammers as long as we wanted to without buying a ticket, the Friday sketchers were sold. And it was the most fun I’ve had since I sketched buskers and other performers at farmer’s markets all summer!

2/28/14 Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao ink, Sailor pen
Sketching bluegrass jammers presents at least two major challenges: The first is that players are always coming and going after a tune or two, so if you don’t finish sketching someone in the length of a song, that player is likely to be gone soon. The second challenge is that it’s dang hard to sketch while you’re tapping your toe (and I couldn’t seem to keep my toe from tapping).

To round out the entertainment, Talulah Belle, a pot-bellied pig wearing a pink bow, was in the lobby supposedly doing tricks, but all I saw her do was scarf down treats from the woman holding her leash.

I wish I could have sketched at Wintergrass all day, but I wanted to get back across the lake before rush hour. Despite my reluctance to go to the Eastside, paying that bridge toll was a small price to sketch at Wintergrass. I’ll be there again next year!

2/28/14 Private Reserve Velvet Black ink


2/28/14 gel pens


2/28/14 Private Reserve Velvet Black ink, gel pen

1 comment:

  1. Great sketches. Sounds like you had fun in spite of the 520 toll :-) Heading to a couple recitals myself this weekend. Practice, practice, practice.

    Cheers --- Larry

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...