Friday, December 8, 2023

Sketchwaiting in Retail Lines and Other Opportunities

 

10/19/23 Costco customers

My first experience with getting to know the general consuming public was working at the Woodland Park Zoo concession stand. Hair stiff with sugar from the cotton candy machine and clothes smelling like popcorn grease were nothing compared to taking money from customers all day. At 16, I wasn’t mature enough to consider the day those parents might have been having with their screaming kids (though I often wanted to advise them, Why don’t you just let them run around in the park like they want to do instead of forcing them to look at animals?). All I could think about was the bad day I was having.

11/13/23 Costco self-checkout area

On one particularly bad day, I couldn’t force myself to smile anymore, and I nearly slammed the hotdog down on the counter as I grumbled her total to the customer. Speaking very quietly and gently so that the nearby supervisor wouldn’t hear, she said, “I know you’re having a bad day. But don’t take it out on the customers – they might be having a bad day, too.” With compassion instead of anger, her admonition stopped me in my tracks. Her comment changed my attitude that day and the rest of the summer.

Decades later in my 40s when I was making a career transition, I worked part time in a bead shop. For the most part, bead shop customers were relaxed, happy people who made jewelry for themselves as a hobby, so that retail experience was very different from zoo concessions. Still, it’s always the unpredictable public on the other side of the counter, whether the goods are beads or popcorn.

10/17/23 outside Macrina Bakery

One day I was explaining the store policy to a customer that products couldnt be returned without a receipt. Her volume increasing rapidly, she argued with me as I continued repeating the policy. Finally she threw the offending product at me and stormed out. A bad day for both of us, for sure.

Several weeks later the customer returned. Approaching me directly at the counter, she apologized very sincerely for taking out on me the bad day she had been having then.

Though I’m relieved that I have never worked retail again, I believe that everyone should have the experience of working retail, if only for a few days. In a short time, it will teach you more about the general public than you ever wanted to learn. It will also teach you compassion for anyone who works retail, especially this time of year.

10/31/23 PCC display

11/28/23 Green Lake

11/29/23 patient in a sketchwaiting room

12/1/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood

12/2/23 Capitol Hill neighborhood


5 comments:

  1. Great story about compassion. (I believe that deep down, we are all angels having a human existence.) Loved the Maple Leaf pickup truck line drawing. -Roy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm grateful that I had that opportunity to learn compassion early in my life. Thanks, Roy!

      Delete
  2. Nice sketches of the people you encountered shopping. Working retail for any amount of time teaches you a lot about people. In college I worked in a department store which was an eye-opening experience. lol I also worked for a dentist as a receptionist and assistant. (Yes, I was the one helping to suck out the saliva with that lovely tube.) Imagine people having a bad day and then enduring some horrid procedure in their mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in a dental office, too -- right before college! Yeah, nothing like sucking saliva out of someone's mouth to give one a different perspective! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I so agree with what you've said about working retail and having bad days on both sides of the counter. I worked several different retail jobs and although I did have some enjoyable repeat customers at the last one, in general I soon realized retail was not for me. I went back to secretarial work and then retired early (that particular job turned into a real nightmare that very nearly caused me a nervous breakdown). Seems a nine to five day job with managers looming over me was not for me either. Many years later, a quilting friend and I experimented with dyeing our own fabric, and I was horrified the day she showed up on my doorstep announcing that she had decided this was what she wanted to do with her life - hand dye fabric and sell it - and would I help. And there I was, suddenly foisted back into retail, as we found shows where we could vend our goods. It just confirmed how much I hated retail even though I loved producing our product. Even in the quilt world there are nasty customers and otherwise nice people having bad days. So glad those days are forever behind me. Indeed, even a short stint behind the counter should make anyone more understanding. And didn't you love the judge who sentenced a person to working in a fast food restaurant for two months after throwing a burrito bowl at a Chipotle worker?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...