Sunday, December 31, 2023

Observing Makes it So

 

11/29/23 Maple Leaf neighborhood

An avid urban sketcher, a friend often draws fellow passengers during his subway commutes. On one ride a while back, all his views of other people were blocked, so he ended up sketching a backpack. He sounded a bit apologetic about the subject matter on his Facebook post. I commented, “Everything is worthy of sketching because observing it makes it so.”

Although viewers may have varying levels of interest, to the sketcher (or maybe I should say, to this sketcher), the relative value of majestic Mt. Rainier or a rock in the driveway is the same: The attention I give it – that close observation for however long I choose to take – is what gives it value.

This principle is never more true than when I’m out walking and stop to sketch whatever I happen to come upon. Without intention or focus, these sketches might seem aimless, but for me, the act of drawing – not the drawing itself – shapes its meaning.

11/30/23 Seattle skyline from Maple Leaf Park

That’s it – that’s all I got for this year’s last year-end review post! Happy new year and happy sketching in 2024!


12/17/23 Mt. Rainier from Maple Leaf Park

12/21/23 Foggy Maple Leaf Park


12/27/23 Green Lake neighborhood
12/20/23 I had missed most of the action by the time I arrived.

4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...