Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Kittens

 

12/21/23 Hungry "Kittens," hoping for her next meal soon.

Although I’ve been having a ball sketching pet portraits from photos lately, I enjoy drawing animals from life a lot more – but I don’t have many opportunities for that. Who knew that getting a haircut would give me that?

“Kittens” is not the soft, cuddly animal you might imagine if you heard her name – she’s a snake. Fed only a couple of times a month, she was due for her biweekly mouse on the day of my appointment, so she restlessly wandered around her tank as I sketched (I guess I would be restless, too, if I hadn’t eaten in a fortnight). While my hair was being buzzed, I learned that she is mostly quiet and still when she’s full and happy. I’m not a huge fan of snakes, but I must say that Kittens has beautiful, varying patterns on her skin, especially on her underbelly (underbody?).

This was my first time at Hugo’s Barbershop, and I like the cut I got, so I’ll probably be back – especially now that I know there’s a snake in residence. (Doesn’t every sketcher choose their barber based on whether the shop has a snake?)

2 comments:

  1. Most people don't like snakes, but some of them have such beautiful patterns on them. A few times someone from the Coney Island Sideshow brought a boa to an outdoor event and posed with her. She was beautiful and so interesting to touch. Wishing you many happy returns to the new barbershop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to my next haircut... though I hope I'm not there for meal time!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...