Monday, October 19, 2020

Short Stories in Field Notes

 

10/8/20 The colors of fall
As fall gets under way in earnest, days have been cool, windy, rainy or all three (plus occasional happy windows of sunshine). Recent neighborhood sketches have been short stories made in various small Field Notes notebooks, depending on the weather. If it’s dry, I take a Signature or a red Sweet Tooth. If I put on my raincoat, then I grab a waterproof Expedition.


9/26/20 a cute Smart Car
 
10/5/20 houses with sunroofs


10/7/20 a tiny, pink bike

10/12/20 cell tower from Maple Leaf Park


Speaking of the waterproof Expedition, the sketch I made of the cell tower from drizzly Maple Leaf Park (at right) brought to light a serious omission in my sketch kit! A red maple was at the base of the tower. Sketching the scene with a Gekkoso 8B pencil (extremely soft graphite is my favorite medium on the Expedition’s plastic Yupo pages), I started to reach for a red pencil to draw the maple when I realized that all of the colored pencils in my bag are water-soluble! Not useful in the rain. I immediately went home to remedy that omission for next time.




2 comments:

  1. It amazes me that you actually sketch out in the rain. Doesn't the graphite wash off the Yupo pages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, graphite is great on Yupo! I love how smoothly soft graphite glides onto that weird plastic paper. And the only reason I sketch in the rain is because the opportunity to sketch is what gets me out the door to get exercise. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...