Saturday, October 24, 2020

Lazy Nature Journaling

 

8/24/20 This moth stayed on the inside of our kitchen window for half the day,
 giving me plenty of time to sketch it.

Although I enjoy sketching trees, leaves, flowers, birds and other animals, and although I love seeing the nature journals of others, I’m too lazy to be a nature journal keeper. I don’t go for long walks in the woods seeking out specimens to study; I wait for nature to come to me in my urban neighborhood. Im also not very good about remembering the names of species, even if I eventually learn them. But I do keep my eyes open. Here are a couple of critters and an unusual berry I sketched over the past several months that I hadn’t gotten around to posting here.

The birds hadn’t been visiting our feeders as much during the summer when they had tastier options, but just lately the chickadees, juncos and bushtits have come by for snacks, so I hope to be sketching birds again soon.

7/28/20 A friendly neighborhood bunny
10/8/20 A COVIDberry tree! (also known as
Kousa dogwood)


4 comments:

  1. Nice little sketches of what pops up in your neighborhood! I find animals and creatures in nature move too quickly for me, unless it is a tortoise. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too many tortoises in my 'hood! ;-) But I've seen your sketches of chickens, so you kept up with those pretty well!

      Delete
  2. Like you,I'm not much of a head-to-hill-and-document kind of guy, though I sometimes wish I were. Maybe it's that I spent a career at field sites, filling journals (no sketches) with data on whatever project I was working on but it sort of feels like a busman's holiday to journal about nature. But..but...you're got RABBITS in your yard? Fantastic. I'm thrilled when one of the cats wanders through :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bunny wasn't exactly in my yard... but nearby. Rabbits don't like my yard because I don't grow veggies. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...