Saturday, September 19, 2020

Reflection

9/17/20

Living through a pandemic seems to make some people introspective and reflective. I’ve read a number of articles and essays to that effect. My own journal has been somewhat introspective, but I haven’t been big on naval-gazing since my 20s and 30s. Perhaps where I’ve expressed reflection more directly (and literally) is through self-portraits.

You saw one of them (plus a couple of modified blind contours) a few months ago. Here are some more. I’m not sure any of these captures my likeness or even my essence, but they are drawing exercises just like any other. 

One thing I did enjoy about these was using toned paper (a beige Stillman & Birn Nova sketchbook) with a white pencil for highlights and a dark pencil for shading. I’ve taken this simple yet continually challenging approach with many of my hand drawings, and it has taught me to observe form more keenly.

5/17/20
6/9/20


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...