Friday, August 9, 2013

Olympic Sculpture Park



8/9/13 Platinum Carbon ink, watercolor, Stillman & Birn Beta sketchbook
“Wispy clouds, soft breeze, sunshine, 68 degrees. . . home, sweet home.”

That’s the note I scribbled at the bottom of my sketch of Alexander Calder’s “The Eagle,” arguably the most prominent piece in the Seattle Art Museum’s Olympic Sculpture Park. Having traveled last month to climates hotter and more humid than I am accustomed to, melting in the blistering sun every time I sketched, I am savoring the (all-too-brief) sweetness of Seattle summertime sketching at its best: Comfortable in a T-shirt but not sweating. The sculpture park was a choice location for an ad hoc Seattle Urban Sketchers gathering.


8/9/13 Platinum Carbon and Diamine Grey inks, watercolor


After sketching the Calder, feeling particularly patriotic to my birth city today, I moved to the other side of the bold red sculpture and faced it squarely between the legs to sketch the Space Needle.

In the remaining time before the sketchbook sharing, I did a quick sketch from a distance of the ampersand of Roy McMakin’s “Love & Loss.”

It was fun meeting and sketching with Paul and Ann Lusch, visiting from Michigan, who looked up today’s sketch location on the Seattle USK blog. Whether I’m in Barcelona or at home, I feel part of the worldwide urban sketching network every day!

8/9/13 Platinum Carbon and Diamine Grey inks, Zig marker

1 comment:

  1. You had a busy day! I like all three sketches, but I really love the one of the full Calder sculpture. I wonder if there is a reason he did so many sculptures in red...I'll have to check that out. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...