Thursday, March 21, 2024

Ravenna Brewery Bark & Brew

 

3/17/24 Dog Gone Seattle's Bark & Brew at Ravenna Brewery

The last time I went to a Dog Gone Seattle Bark & Brew, it was cool and drizzly. On St. Patrick’s Day, the pet rescue and adoption agency (which I support by selling my pet drawings) couldn’t have picked a better day for the dog meet-and-greet at Ravenna Brewery: 68 degrees and sunny! Dog Gone Seattle partners with dog-friendly breweries with large, outdoor seating areas for these events to introduce humans to potential pup adoptees. The beautiful day resulted in a great turnout.

Impressed by how well-behaved the dogs were, I saw a lot of them getting hugs and belly rubs from prospective parents. It’s fun to eavesdrop on various conversations, too, usually about behavior, training experience and breed speculation. Without a pet myself, I had no idea that DNA testing for dogs was a thing (just like 23 and Me for humans). Sketching the event was so much fun, even for a dog-allergic human like me!

Process notes: If you look back at my post from the previous event, you’ll see that all I managed that day were a few scribbled dogs and humans, all while bemoaning my rusty life-drawing chops. I think all the humans I sketched during last week’s One Week 100 People challenge really helped, even with canines – they’re still scribbled gestures, but I felt more confident and loose.

Given the constantly wiggling subjects and changing scenes, it was impossible to plan any compositions for the comic book approach I wanted to take. I didn’t bother to plan the box orientation; I sketched first, then drew a box around the image afterwards. Just putting a frame around individual, small images seemed to put the sketches into a “readable” page-spread narrative, and the randomness looks more organized. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I think it looks pretty organized considering you were working with characters that don't stay still. Your skills from the pet portraits have really paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree that the practice on portraits helped! Though not with the wiggles. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I agree with the adding the boxes after sketching. My eye was immediately drawn to the one where the feet extend past the box - I always think that "defying borders" such an interesting effect and works well on that sketch. You also managed it with the dogs' tails. Such a fun spread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree about "defying borders"! I'm going to make a more conscious effort to do that (not just by accident ;-) )!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...