Friday, March 8, 2024

Doughnut Injustice

 

3/4/24 Top Pot Doughnuts, Wedgwood neighborhood

Sometime last year, Top Pot Doughnuts sponsored a contest to help come up with a catchy name for its latest product, donut holes. The grand prize was a year (or more?) of free donuts. I actually tried to spin a few catchy names in my head to enter, but I must have gotten distracted and forgot about it. Months later, the local chain announced the winning name: Pot Holes! I had to admit that I wished I had come up with that – seriously clever and perfect for that product!

A bit later on Facebook, I learned that Tim Healy, a former marketing/communications co-worker whom I always knew to be good with puns and catchy phrases, was the one who had submitted the winning name! I congratulated him and expressed my slight envy about his prize. That’s when I learned that he actually didn’t win anything; the prize of the free donuts had been awarded in a random draw among entrants, and he didn’t even get credit for the selected name! I suppose it was written in the fine print that no one reads, but still – thats doughnut injustice! They could have at least given him a few free donuts. Indignant and outraged for him, I boycotted Top Pot (or at least the Pot Holes).


Fast-forward to last Monday, when I decided I had held a grudge long enough. I went to the Wedgwood Top Pot to finally try a few Pot Holes. When I posted my sketch, I tagged Tim and let him know that despite the injustice, I at least thought of him while eating my Pot Holes, which must be some consolation. He replied, “Thanks, Tina. There is nothing like being associated with deep fried balls of sugar and dough to make it all worthwhile.”

As for the Pot Holes, I probably won’t be getting more. Although I appreciate the small size that makes you feel like you aren’t pigging out on a whole donut (though if you eat five like I did, it’s probably the same), they only seem to come in the cake varieties. I always favor raised donuts. So now it’s donut inequality on top of injustice. The world is so unfair.

4 comments:

  1. That contest doesn't sound very fair at all...but the name "Pot Holes" is rather clever. I like the way you composed this page with the pot holes on a slight diagonal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diagonal was not intentional... it was my napkin at an angle! But I like it too!

      Delete
  2. I agree...the world just gets more disappointing. And these contests--always some "catch" that either you don't notice or they have you jumping through a variety of hoops and demand your email address. Sometimes they don't even notify the winner. You have to remember and go back to their site and check! Forget contests, but you did a nice page in any case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet somehow, I'm seduced into entering them anyway. ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...