Friday, March 15, 2024

BeanFish

3/8/24 Uwajimaya food court

The first time I had a BeanFish taiyaki was during the 2019 Lunar New Year celebration when USk Seattle met in Chinatown/International District. At BeanFish’s mobile truck, I recall only a few varieties other than traditional sweet bean. At their permanent stand in the Uwajimaya food court, however, they offer dozens of sweet and savory fillings in addition to the classic.

Here's my taiyaki before I bit off its lower jaw. In this traditional variety,
the warm, soft waffle is stuffed with a slightly sweet bean paste.
In Japanese, tai is a sea bream; yaki is to cook by grilling or frying.

Shopping at Uwajimaya for the first time in quite a while, I felt like a snack before heading home, so I stopped at the food court. Mind boggled by all the choices that I wasn’t expecting, I opted for classic sweet bean again. Next time I’ll be prepared to choose something different.

2 comments:

  1. Nice page of sketches. This sounds interesting. I wonder if my sister will try this. She and her husband are visiting their son who lives in Japan. He lives in Kudoyama which isn't too far from Osaka. She posted photos of sushi wrapped in persimmon leaves. (She's a more adventurous eater than I am, and she loves fish.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things in Japan are very regional, and I don't know where taiyaki originates, but it would be fun if she could try some that's authentically Japanese (though I think BeanFish is pretty authentic, too)!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...