Sunday, March 10, 2024

Workers’ Rally

 

3/5/24 Union members outside Aegis Living Ravenna

Walking around Maple Leaf Park, I heard some chanting and cheering of the type heard at rallies, which struck me as odd in this quiet neighborhood. I found the group picketing around Aegis Living Ravenna, an assisted living facility just outside the park, which seemed especially unusual, as they would be unlikely to reach much of an audience there. (Dressed in purple and gold, they could have been UW Huskies fans!) It turned out that they were members of Service Employees International Union Local 775, which represents long-term care workers, including those at Aegis. In good spirits as they chatted with a few passers-by, they were asking for higher wages. (They were not on strike as my sketch mistakenly notes.)

I hastily scribbled as the union members walked back and forth in front of the facility with signs. I don’t get many opportunities for sketch reportage while out taking a walk in little ol’ Maple Leaf!

1 comment:

  1. Nice capture of the marchers. I like the use of the Posca markers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...