Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Sakura!

3/2/24 Cherry blossoms and daffodil

The afternoon looked deceptively sunny and bright. Stepping out for my walk, I was instantly blasted with a harsh wind: 44 degrees that felt more like the 30s. Still, after several days of heavy rain and wind that had kept me on the couch, it was refreshing to get outdoors again.

To my delight, a cherry tree on Eighth Northeast that I hadn’t yet even noticed in buds was starting to blossom! While we had a record-breaking warm January, February was colder than average, so it was surprising to see them opening already. Despite the chill, I stopped for a quick sketch to commemorate the first Sakura sighting.

Toward the end of my walk, I spotted a sunny patch of daffodils near a sidewalk. Daffodils have been blooming for a while now, but I hadn’t yet sketched any. Now that the Sakura had declared that it was spring, the time seemed right for daffies, too.

It’s happening!
First sakura sighting in Maple Leaf!

2 comments:

  1. I think it is a bit slower here. I've seen crocuses and the start of some daffs, but no pink booms yet. Nice sketches of both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the sub-freezing temps we're having this week don't mess up the pink schedule!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...