Wednesday, June 7, 2023

National Fat and Sugar Day

 

6/2/23 National Donut Day observance at Top Pot Doughnuts, Wedgwood neighborhood

Last year I happened to be in the small town of Centralia on National Donut Day, and I was aghast that not a single donut could be found there. I was not about to miss it this year! Kim and Natalie joined me last Friday in observing the day, which has been a personal tradition since 2016.

We started out at the Wedgwood Top Pot Doughnuts, where I resisted scarfing down more than a couple of bites of my chocolate raised until I could sketch it. Unfortunately, while seated at Top Pot’s umbrella’d tables, it’s impossible to see the marvelous giant donut atop its roof. Preferring bagels to donuts, Natalie had the great idea of moving across the street to Grateful Bread Bakery. From there, I could finish my montage with Top Pot’s giant donut, twin palms and celebratory stickers.


Color notes: Every year on this special occasion, I have the same dilemma: Choose a Bavarian crème, apple fritter, or chocolate raised – my favorites to eat but that are not very pretty? Or a bright pink raspberry, multi-colored sprinkles, or pink feather boa – all of which would be more fun to sketch but not my favorites otherwise? The easy solution is to use a secondary triad so that “real” colors don’t matter. Interestingly, I think my sketch looks more like a bagel than a donut!

3 comments:

  1. Your donut does look more like a bagel. lol Some of them are much more interesting to draw and others resemble bagels a lot. I love that the donut place had stickers to give out. Do they always celebrate on the exact same date? I always find out about it after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked it out and it is celebrated on the first Friday in June. In 2024 it will be on June 7th. I put it on my 2024 calendar so maybe I'll celebrate next year.

      Delete
    2. Yay!! We can have a virtual donut sketch outing! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...