Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Double Takes

 

6/16/23 watercolor in Hahnemuhle sketchbook (from photo)

6/15/23 watercolor pencils in Hahnemuhle sketchbook
(on location)

I’ll be doing a check-in of 30x30 Direct Watercolor challenge sketches in a few days, but these two had interesting processes, so I’ve pulled them out as a separate post.

The sketch above was done from a photo I had taken the previous day, when I also made a sketch with watercolor pencils on location (at right). My intention was for the pencil sketch to serve as both a composition and value study for the watercolor. Although I miss the tree’s texture and form of the colored pencil version, and I think the composition might be better too, I like the color intensity and value contrasts better in the watercolor version. I thought it looked better with a tighter composition so I cropped out the foreground shadows.

I did the same process with the following pair: I first made a sketch on location (standing in the middle of the street; I had to move for cars only twice) with watercolor pencils. Then the next day I made the painting from a photo. I definitely prefer the pencil version. Although the colors are more vibrant in the watercolor version, the tree (which is my focus for the second half of the challenge) looks flat.

6/16/23 watercolor pencil (on location)

6/17/23 watercolor (from photo)

I think doing the same scene twice in two days also took away some of the freshness in the watercolor version. Even though “reality” was darkish in the background, I prefer the white I left in the pencil version, which makes everything else stand out more strongly. It’s funny – when I have a paint brush in my hand, I feel an obligation to cover more of the paper with color. I feel no such need with pencils.

2 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see the two versions of each scene. The pencil versions have a special charm but so do the watercolor versions. I love the intensity of the watercolor versions. I hope you are going to continue doing some watercolors when the challenge is over. I've enjoyed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your ongoing encouragement, Joan! I am definitely going to continue with wc, but I still haven't decided whether to take them out on location. Colored pencils seem to suit my urban sketching attitude better than paint... but we'll see!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...