Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Spectacled Owl


9/24/12 Lamy fountain pen, water-soluble ink, Stillman & Birn sketchbook
The only bird I sketched yesterday at the zoo (other than a crow hanging out with the brown bears) was a spectacled owl in the Raptor Center. Named Coba, this male perched on a keeper’s heavily gloved hand weighs only 1.75 pounds – a lot less than he looks. Designed for flight, his hollow bones keep him lightweight. His species is native to southern Mexico, the keeper told me as I sketched, but Coba is a native of the Woodland Park Zoo.

4 comments:

  1. ooh lovely - I tried sketching at the zoo once - complete disaster!!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! I'm a city girl, so the zoo is almost the only place I can see wildlife easily (though I guess this owl is hardly "wild"! :-) ).

      Delete
  2. Wonderful sketches of the zoo creatures, especially that brown bear!!! Some animals are so cooperative...and others not so much. Nice sketches of the glass below and the entertainers. I can almost hear them playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joan! I'm getting good at figuring out which animals are more cooperative! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...