Friday, September 28, 2012

Blind Contour Redux


9/27/12 Copic Multiliner SP pen

I’m taking an eight-week drawing class from Seattle architect and artist Anita Lehmann, whose urban sketches appear on the Seattle Urban Sketchers blog. At our first class, we did a few drawing exercises made popular by Betty Edwards’ book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. A favorite of mine is modified blind contour, a technique I used for these self-portraits. To learn what a modified blind contour is, see another self-portrait I did back in January.
 
Although these self-portraits are not exactly flattering, the bald-faced honesty and integrity of the line are strangely appealing.


9/28/12 Pigma Micron pens

1 comment:

  1. Your class sounds like fun. There is a freshness to the blind contours of people. I really like these...maybe I should try a few. It is difficult to draw directly in pen...my 75 day challenge has definitely been that. Great job on the two church steeples. Your perspective is getting very good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...