Monday, July 6, 2015

What’s Going on at Maple Leaf Park?

7/6/15 inks, colored pencils, Zig marker

What’s going on?

That was my first thought as I began my walk through Maple Leaf Park. I hadn’t visited since March, and I was surprised by all the trucks and other construction equipment working on at least three projects.

I picked the one with the tallest crane to sketch this morning. The front end was jacked up off the ground a few inches, but its job hadn’t begun yet. The busy machine was the yellow forklift, which was moving piles of rebar from the flatbed of a truck to a location near the red crane. Hmmm. . .

The heat wave we’ve been having the past couple weeks in the Pacific Northwest (temps in the high 80s and even 90s – that’s hot for around here!) is making me cranky. I love sunshine, but sketching in the blazing sun doesn’t make me happy. So I’ve been trying to get out as early as possible to sketch in the morning. The best thing about heat in Seattle is that no matter how hot it gets during the day, it always cools off at night, so the early mornings are delightfully comfortable  almost chilly. 

Edited 1:50 p.m.: I sent this blog post to the Maple Leaf Life neighborhood blog, and the editor responded right away by blogging the answers to my questions. Most of the construction is related to bringing the underground reservoir up to earthquake standards.

1 comment:

  1. Love the tall crane and the forklift...looks like lots of activity to come. Nice sketch of it at this stage.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...