Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Top-Down Ride to Dibble

3/18/15 DeAtramentis Document Brown ink, watercolor, Caran d'Ache Museum water-soluble colored pencils, watercolor,
Zig markers, Canson XL 140 lb. paper

After sketching the cherries on Sunset Hill, I still had one more place I wanted to catch before the wind and rain blew the blossoms away – Dibble Avenue Northwest in the Greenwood neighborhood. About a block and a half of that street is illuminated with pale pink trees. Much younger than the ones on Sunset Hill, these trees have trunks that aren’t nearly as stout, but the branches are fuller, spreading all the way across the street.

The morning looked like rain, but by afternoon, the sun came out, and I knew it might be my only opportunity. I bundled up in two layers of Polartec and took the top down as I drove to Dibble. Most of the trees there had dodged utility wire butchering, but then I found this one, still glorious in its fleeting beauty.

When I returned to my car, the seats and floor were covered with petals from the trees I had parked under. Fleeting, indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you timed it perfectly to see the fleeting petals! Nice sketch of the tree spreading across the road.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...