Friday, March 29, 2013

Upper Queen Anne


3/29/13 Platinum Carbon and Sepia inks, watercolor, Stillman & Birn Gamma sketchbook
Just out of school and on my own for the first time, I lived in a tiny studio apartment in upper Queen Anne, so I have nostalgically fond memories of that neighborhood. Queen Anne Hill symbolized freedom, independence and many meals of rice and beans and ramen so that I could afford to pay the rent. My entertainment in those days was anything that was free, so I took a lot of walks on quiet, tree-lined residential streets.
 
One of my favorite walks was along Eighth Avenue West where a long row of globe lamps tops a wall on one side of the street for several blocks. About a year ago I was driving around the area looking for something to sketch, so I stopped at nearby Betty Bowen Viewpoint (also known as Marshall Park). I looked at the curving wall and those romantic globe lamps, not knowing how or where to start to get that intimidating perspective right, and I lost my courage. I got back in my car and decided to leave it for another day.
 
That day was apparently today. A clear blue sky and temperatures in the 60s while driving a convertible tend to give me more optimism than skills, but I cruised over to that beloved spot and sketched.

3 comments:

  1. I like the depth you've achieved in this sketch, Tina. I gotta love the sketch given it's "Marshall Park" :-)

    Cheers --- Larry Marshall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the perspective of the globe lamps on the curving wall. Glad you were finally brave enough to sketch it. Funny how some places bring back memories like it was yesterday. Hopefully ramen noodles aren't a staple now....that is unless you are fond of them. lol Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...