Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Metasketching Weather


It’s the first day of spring, and it’s coming in like a lion. Here’s what it looks like on weather.com    à
 
Despite the blue sky I see, it feels like our windows could implode, and the clouds look like time-lapse photography.
 
I decided it was a good day to stay in and do some metasketching – sketching sketching materials with sketching materials. Traditional still lifes don’t excite me much, although I see the value in learning from them, and I’ve done a few. But sketching the art materials I love and use every day means more to me than the random fruits and flowers that appear in my house.
 
3/20/13 Copic Multiliner SP pen, watercolors, Stillman & Birn Gamma sketchbook
Ironically, it’s technically not possible to sketch sketching materials with the actual sketching materials being sketched. I’m trying not to think about that too much, or I’ll have a woo-woo moment, not unlike standing in the restroom of a fancy hotel or restaurant where mirrors face more mirrors, and you can see your reflection reflected infinitely.
 
This is what happens to my brain when snow is threatened on the first day of spring.
 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Spring, Tina!!! I love sketches of sketching materials too...as a matter of fact I love sketches of art materials period. lol I like your mini tin of watercolors and I see you are also a two Lamy pen owner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...