Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nonindigenous


3/19/13 Platinum Sepia ink, watercolors, Zig marker, Hand Book journal
Palm trees are about as indigenous to the Pacific Northwest as pineapples, tiki huts and toucans. Yet I’ve sketched two palms in as many months – one in February at the Wedgwood Top Pot, and another this morning at a small Northgate strip mall. Given that it was 40 degrees, I stayed in my car to sketch the palm, which I think is leftover from the tropical-themed restaurant that used to be where Green Lake Jewelry Works now stands. On the back side of the building facing the parking lot is another remnant: a sign that reads “Thank Y’all for Coming.”
 
I do my share of complaining about the long, dark winters here, but imagine how those palm trees must feel. Thank y’all for tolerating the cold.

Edited 3/20/13: I was told by a landscape gardener friend, after he saw the sketch, that this is a Chinese windmill palm, which actually does well in Seattle.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I'm following your blog on Feedly. I love your palm sketch and enjoy your text. You have a talent for observation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...