Monday, June 17, 2024

Northwest Seaport’s 60th Anniversary (Plus Bi-Bim-Bap)

 

6/15/24 Lake Union Park historic ships

Although the weather gods teased us with dire forecasts of rain, hail, lightning and thunder, they took mercy on USk Seattle last Saturday – windy but dry to the end! A good turnout of brave sketchers showed up for the 60th anniversary celebration of Northwest Seaport Maritime Heritage Center, which preserves and restores historic work ships on Lake Union.

To capture a survey of ships, I made small sketches of the historic tug Comanche, the Fremont Tugboat’s Dixie, and the lightship Swiftsure. Painted red, the 120-year-old Swiftsure is always popular among sketchers. In fact, I’ve sketched it myself several times, but this time I wanted a tall, narrow view to fit the space on my page spread, so I focused on the mast. (My current comics-like approach helped me see a composition I might not have chosen otherwise.)

6/15/24 Stone Korean Restaurant

After the outing, I joined a few sketchers for lunch at nearby Stone Korean Restaurant. Although I’ve had traditional bi-bim-bap, in general, I don’t eat Korean food often, so many dishes were new to me, like the delicious veggie pancake that the table shared. For my entrée, I chose a hot pot-style bi-bim-bap with crispy, toasted rice on the bottom – very different from regular bi-bim-bap and so delicious! Served in a dangerously hot cast iron pot, the food stayed hot for the duration of my sketch – an ideal sketch-meal!

I was so ignorant of Korean foods that another sketcher accused me of not being Asian, but now that she has educated me, I’m looking forward to enjoying more Korean meals.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had good weather for the anniversary sketching. Mmm...the food sounds yummy. I like trying new foods, but Jerry is a creature of habit so we rarely go any place that is really different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not too adventurous about food, especially if I think it will be too spicy, but I'm trying to branch out! :-)

      Delete
  2. Talk about stereotyping - what a laugh! Good-natured though coming from your sketching friends. I continue to marvel at the way that pink paper works with this style of sketching. Captivating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the pink! New color coming up in a few more pages! ;-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...