Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Green Lake Street Trees

 

6/17/24 Green Lake

Sketching all the special street trees in Maple Leaf in Taha Ebrahimi’s book was almost too easy. I’ve already moved on to the trees of Green Lake, which will take longer because there are 10 of them scattered over a wider area. Shown above are two that are closest to home – a ginkgo and a southern catalpa.

Scanning a street as I search for a tree’s address (the residence closest to the tree), I can sometimes guess from a block away which tree it will be: Often the widest or with a distinctive trunk. Like the spectacular snow gum eucalyptus I sketched in Maple Leaf, this magnificent catalpa has an extraordinary trunk that I spotted easily from a distance. It is certainly a candidate for a more complete portrait later this summer.

2 comments:

  1. Fun to see your tree sketches. I like the trunk of the one on the right with the ladder and swing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I, too, enjoy sketching trees that show their relationship with humans.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...