Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Ink-Hatched Dogs


2/10/24 Kelly (both reference photos by Matt Francev)

2/8/24 Alfred

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my series of pet portraits, it’s the significant challenge of trying to make good drawings from bad reference photos. The ones I received for Alfred and Kelly were both less than ideal: one was out of focus, both were poorly lighted, and the contrast was so dim that I could barely see the forms of their heads. Sadly, they had long ago crossed the Rainbow Bridge; taking better reference photos was not possible.

I have been enjoying using colored pencils for most of the series, but since both of these pups were black and white, they were a good opportunity to try something different: messy hatching with black Uni Pin technical pens (and a little colored pencil for details). Just like human heads, dogs have eye sockets that give the face a predictable form, even if it’s nearly impossible to see. I gave educated guesses (from all my other dog drawings) to do what I could with Kelly.

I couldn’t seem to do that with Alfred – the photo gave me so little information (except that delightful expression) – so I decided to push the cartoony effect that ink hatching invites. Even though the drawing came out flat, I was thrilled to capture his broad smile, which also fits the cartoony effect.

I used colored pencil on Alfred's nose.
3 sizes of Uni Pin pens for Kelly.

3 comments:

  1. I think you really nailed the one of Kelly. Love that you used multiple pens for the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm having fun using these portraits to experiment with different media!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...