Thursday, February 1, 2024

Abandoned Nests

 

1/29/24 Maple Leaf neighborhood

Years ago when I kept spotting them one winter, I considered doing a series of sketches of what I had assumed were abandoned birds’ nests. A reader had commented that based on the size, the nests might belong to squirrels, not birds – and might not necessarily be abandoned.

Spring came, the trees leafed out, and I forgot about the series. But every winter when the trees go bare, they occasionally reveal large nests that probably do belong to squirrels (and I still occasionally sketch them).

Last year when we were battling squirrels that took up residence under our roof, I often raised a fist and shouted, “Why can’t you live in all those trees out there? gesturing helplessly at the many large trees nearby. You’re a squirrel, aren’t you?” 

Despite my frustration, it makes squirrel sense – in the warmer seasons when the trees have concealing leaves, squirrels feel safe nesting in them. Come winter, mama squirrels look for more secluded, warmer places to nest, like under our roof (which, I’m relieved to report, has remained squirrel-free since October). And once mama finds a warm, safe roof, why not return for the next litter? Trees are so last year.

4 comments:

  1. When we lived in WI, we bought 6 acres to have a house built on. Part of it was a pine plantation. Yeah, we'd never heard that term before either but out there, they plant pine trees for future harvest and call it a plantation. Anyway, walking between the rows of tall pines I realized there were these huge nests way up in the branches and when I asked, the locals confirmed they were squirrel nests. I'd never heard of such a thing either, having grown up in northern Idaho where the squirrels apparently don't build such conspicuous homes. WI was such an educational experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's interesting! We have plenty of pines around here, but it's much harder to see nests in them. I'll start looking more closely!

      Delete
  2. Can't blame them for wanting to be inside where it was warm and dry. Glad you were able to get them out finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard one scratching from the outside just the other day... but our squirrel guy assures us that she can't get in!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...